NEW 2023 KIA TELLURIDE TRAILBLAZES THROUGH TEXAS WITH MORE HEADTURNING STYLE AND ENHANCED RUGGEDNESS
X-Line and X-Pro Trims Encourage Even More Outdoor Escapades
- New X-Line and X-Pro trims add ruggedness and capability1
- X-Line features higher ground clearance, raised roof rails, and Downhill Brake Control2
- X-Pro adds increased towing capacity with Tow Mode, 18-inch wheels and Continental All-Terrain tires
- Design enhancements further elevate its distinctly upscale and commanding presence with new front and rear fascias, lighting and wheels
- Refreshed interior receives redesigned and more technologically advanced dash and center console
- Newly available dual 12.3-inch panoramic display screen3
- Standard navigation
- Upgraded convenience technology includes newly standard Wi-Fi Hotspot4 and optional digital key5 supporting compatible iPhone, Apple Watch, and Samsung Galaxy smartphones
- Available multi-color head-up display6 available on SX-P, X-Line, and X-Pro trims
- Class-leading second-row legroom7
- Offers some of Kia’s latest advanced collision avoidance and advance driver assistance features8, such as available Highway Drive Assist 2 with Lane Change Assist2
- Assembled at Kia’s award-winning Georgia manufacturing facility alongside select trims of the K5, Sportage, and Sorento*
SAN ANTONIO, October 27, 2022 – Three years after bursting onto the scene as one of the most in-demand and award-winning SUVs in the U.S., the Kia Telluride returns to the state of Texas, where the vehicle’s historic success was jumpstarted in 2019 when it was recognized as the “SUV of Texas” by the Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA). With the famous San Antonio Riverwalk as the backdrop, top media outlets from around the country converged on the Lone Star State to get behind the wheel of the 2023 Telluride, which showed off notable enhancements that build upon the success of the original, including two new rugged trim levels (X-Line and X-Pro) that help the Telluride track further through urban, suburban, off-road and ranch-style landscapes.
The only SUV to have ever swept the 2019 NACTOY Utility Vehicle of the Year, MotorTrend SUV of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards in the same year, the 2023 Telluride sports fresh design elements inside and out along with an expanded list of ADAS8 technology for greater peace-of-mind and driver confidence. The 2023 Telluride is slated to arrive in showrooms this fall.
Designed for America
Designed for the U.S. market, the Telluride has been a head-turning proposition from the very start. Retaining its bold and sophisticated appearance, the Telluride undergoes some exterior restyling for a more rugged and refined look in the new model year:
- Revised vertical headlamp design (available LED type) and available foglamps
- New front fascia and grille
- Revised taillamps
- New rear fascia and trim
- New wheel designs for every trim
- Three new exterior colors are available
- Midnight Lake Blue
- Dawning Red
- Jungle Green
As before, the 2023 Telluride interior captures a feeling of upscale exploration in a spacious, three-row, seven or eight-passenger environment with class-leading second-row legroom. Thoughtful new updates include:
- Curved and seamless dual 12.3-inch display screen
- 12.3-inch gauge cluster is available
- Center display including navigation is standard
- Redesigned dashboard with revised trim panels and HVAC vents
- Redesigned steering wheel
- New interior color packages
Introducing Two New Adventure-Ready Trim Levels: X-Line and X-Pro
The new Telluride introduces two new trim levels – X-Line and X-Pro – to appeal to drivers who enjoy going off the beaten path. Both all-wheel drive trims offer a roster of exclusive upgrades and enhancements over other Telluride trims. As seen below, the X-Pro trim builds off the X-Line trim. Furthermore, the X-Line trim replaces the former Telluride Nightfall Edition.
- Unique radiator grille design
- Raised, bridge-type roof rails
- Body-color door handles
- Exclusive 20-inch wheels
- “X-Line” badging
- “X-Line” embossing on front seat upper backrest
- Exclusive color packages
Chassis and Capability
- Higher ground clearance (+10mm)
- Improved approach and departure angles
- Tow mode for enhanced trailering performance (adjusted powertrain settings)
- Upgraded Traction Control System (TCS)
Telluride X-Pro (in addition to or in place of X-Line features)
- Exclusive 18-inch black wheels and 18-inch all-terrain tires (Continental)
- “X-Pro” badging
- “X-Pro” embossing on front seat upper backrest
- 110-volt inverter outlet (cargo area)
Chassis and Capability
- Increased towing limit from 5,000 pounds to 5,500 pounds9
As Powerful and Capable As Ever
The new Telluride continues to provide a capable and confidence-inspiring experience for driver and passengers, alike. Major mechanicals remain virtually unchanged, maintaining the SUV’s composed ride and performance:
- Atkinson Cycle LAMBDA II 3.8L V6 GDI engine producing 291 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 262 lb.-ft of torque at 5,200 rpm
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Rigid body structure due to the monocoque shell that is composed of 59.4 percent advanced high-strength steel
- Available self-leveling rear suspension2. This system is designed to automatically calibrate ride height depending on vehicle load to help enhance control and stability
- Choice of four drive modes – Smart, Eco, Sport and Comfort – each using different settings for powertrain, drivetrain, and steering effort mapping to provide the desired driving experience. In addition to the four regular drive modes, in vehicles equipped with AWD, drivers can select from two different modes, “Snow” and “AWD Lock” for specific driving conditions
- Available active on-demand all-wheel drive2 is designed to help provide enhanced driving performance in a variety of circumstances by actively distributing torque between front and rear wheels depending on road conditions and driver input. The system utilizes electro-hydraulic AWD coupling to precisely activate the multi-plate clutch, constantly redistributing the amount of power transferred to the front and rear wheels. During normal driving, power is distributed according to the drive mode selected. “Eco” and “Comfort” modes can deliver up to 20 to 35 percent of the power to the rear wheels, respectively. “Sport”, “Smart” and “Snow” modes can deliver up to 50 percent of the power to the rear wheels. “AWD Lock” mode delivers power evenly to all four wheels
- Standard towing rated up to 5,000 pounds (5,500 pounds for X-Pro trim)5
- Newly added Downhill Brake Control (DBC)2 maintains a controlled descent on steep roads
A New Level of Convenience Technology
The 2023 Telluride receives newly available technology features to help make ownership easier and more convenient:
- Standard upgraded 12.3-inch navigation screen (increased from 10.3 inches)
- Optional Full Display Mirror with HomeLink10 functionality (replacing traditional rearview mirror)
- Available Smart Power Liftgate with “Auto Close” functionality
Kia Connect11 services provide advanced embedded connectivity:
- Available Digital Key12: Allows customers to use their compatible iPhone, Apple Watch, and Samsung Galaxy smart devices as a virtual vehicle key to lock, unlock and drive. Furthermore, these keys can be shared with friends and family over text messages on available devices
- In-vehicle Wi-Fi Hotspot13 connects up to five devices to 4G LTE-based internet
- Map and Infotainment Over-The-Air (OTA) updates: Can keeps maps and infotainment system updated automatically with the latest functionalities to help deliver the best driving experience
- Kia Access App with smartwatch compatibility through Apple Watch and Samsung Galaxy smart watches to access features like remote climate control, door lock/unlock and more14
- Stolen vehicle tracking and immobilization capability
- Connected Routing: The server-based system is designed to calculate the optimal route by using real-time and predicted traffic information based on past information and AI that has learned the user's preferred route
- Smart Speaker Integration lets customers use Amazon Alexa15 or Google Assistant16 enabled smart speakers or devices to remotely control some functions (such as remote start)
Technology highlights carried over from the previous model year include:
- Available 10-speaker Harman/Kardon17 audio system (AM/FM/SiriusXM18)
- Apple CarPlay19
- Android Auto20
- Available wireless smartphone charging21
- Up to six USB charging ports – two in each row. Five ports are standard (now updated from A type to C type)
- Multi-Bluetooth wireless connectivity22 allows two phones to connect simultaneously for audio streaming
- Head-Up Display23 Upgraded from 8.5-inches to 10-inches. Added information makes this system especially useful. Provides turn-by-turn navigation, speed, smart cruise control, and blind-spot warnings (available)
- Driver Talk: Uses a microphone to help enhance communication with second- and third-row passengers
- Quiet Mode: Cuts audio output in second and third row so the audio choices of the front occupants are less perceptible to rear occupants
- Rear Occupant Alert24: Uses ultrasonic sensors designed to detect child or pet movement in the second and third row after the car’s doors have been locked and then can issue audible alerts to the driver
Expanded ADAS Suite
As Kia’s flagship SUV, the new Telluride is brimming with technology designed to help provide drivers with alerts and assistance and even intervene in certain situations to help avoid collisions. The long list of ADAS8 features grows for 2023 with several new additions, including two new standard systems (ISLA, FCA-JT):
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA)25: Can detect a road’s maximum speed limit in some cases, provide alerts to the driver and even limit the speed of the car depending on the settings (standard)
- Navigation-based Smart Cruise Control – Curve (NSCC-C): Leverages the available navigation system and, in certain circumstances, can lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves in the road (available)
- Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA 2)26 A driving convenience system that helps to maintain a predetermined distance from the vehicle detected in front, keep the vehicle within detected lane markers on certain highways, and also assist in lane changes under certain conditions (available; HDA 1.5 is standard on Telluride)
- Forward Collision Avoidance – Junction Turning (FCA-JT): Is designed to detect oncoming vehicles while turning left at an intersection (junction). If the system detects that a collision may be likely, the system may apply the brakes to help slow or stop the car (standard)
- Forward Collision Avoidance – Junction Crossing (FCA-JC): Is designed to detect crossing vehicles while passing through an intersection. If the system detects that a collision may be likely, the system may apply the brakes to help slow or stop the car (available)
- Forward Collision Avoidance – Lane Change Oncoming (FCA-LO): Is designed to provide steering input to help prevent collisions if the system detects oncoming vehicles while passing other vehicles (available)
- Forward Collision Avoidance – Lane Change Side (FCA-LS): Is designed to provide steering input to help prevent collisions if the system detects cycles/vehicles in front of the car while changing lanes (available)
- Forward Collision Avoidance – Evasive Steering Assist (FCA-ESA): Is designed to provide steering input to help prevent collisions if the system detects obstacles/pedestrians/vehicles in front of the car while driving straight (available)
The 2023 Telluride’s long list of carryover ADAS4 (standard and available) systems include:
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Forward Collision Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian & Cyclist Detection (FCA)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)27
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW)
- Blind Spot View Monitor (BVM) (available)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)28
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
- Parking Distance Warning – Forward (available) and Reverse
- Surround View Monitor (SVM)29(available)
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA)27 (HDA 1.5 – standard)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- Safe Exist Assist (SEA)30
Kia America – about us
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia America continues to top automotive quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands. Kia serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and offers a range of gasoline, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electrified vehicles sold through a network of over 750 dealers in the U.S., including several cars and SUVs proudly assembled in America.*
For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
* The K5, Sportage, Sorento, and Telluride (excludes HEV and PHEV models) are assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts.
1 Quantities limited until vehicle stock improves.
2 No system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver errors and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
3 Distracted driving can result in the loss of vehicle control. When operating a vehicle, never use a vehicle system that takes your focus away from safe vehicle operation.
4 Wi-Fi Hotspot requires enrollment in Kia Connect. Trial or paid subscription data plan required. Wi-Fi Hotspot services require vehicle cellular connectivity and availability of vehicle GPS signal; certain services may collect location information. Wi-Fi Hotspot available only in the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia. Wi-Fi Hotspot may be unavailable for model year 2022 and newer vehicles that are purchased or sold in Massachusetts.
5 Kia Digital Key 2 Touch requires an eligible Kia Connect subscription and a compatible smart device with an active data plan. Normal cellular service rates may apply when using a smart device.
6 Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution
7 Class-leading passenger room among midsize SUVs; competitive specs source from manufacturers’ websites March 22, 2022
8 Advanced Driver Assistance Systems are not substitutes for safe driving and may not detect all objects around vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
9 Towing requires additional equipment. See Owner’s Manual for towing capacity, additional instructions and warnings. Always use caution while towing.
10 HomeLink is a registered trademark of Gentex Corporation.
12 Kia Digital Key 2 Touch requires an eligible Kia Connect subscription and a compatible smart device with an active data plan. Normal cellular service rates may apply when using a smart device.
13 Wi-Fi Hotspot requires enrollment in Kia Connect. Trial or paid subscription data plan required. Wi-Fi Hotspot services require vehicle cellular connectivity and availability of vehicle GPS signal; certain services may collect location information. Wi-Fi Hotspot available only in the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia. Wi-Fi Hotspot may be unavailable for model year 2022 and newer vehicles that are purchased or sold in Massachusetts.
14 Remote features require a Kia Connect subscription, a compatible smartphone, and a wireless signal with good coverage. Normal cellular service rates may apply. Do not use remote climate control or remote start if vehicle is in an enclosed area (e.g., closed garage) or a partially enclosed area without ventilation. Close all doors leading from adjacent living areas to the vehicle area before executing a remote climate control or remote start command.
15 Amazon devices are sold separately and require a Wi-Fi internet connection. Amazon, Alexa, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
16 Google devices are sold separately and require a Wi-Fi internet connection. Google, Google Assistant, and all related logos are trademarks of Google, Inc.
17 Harmon Kardon is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries Inc.
18 SiriusXM is a registered trademark of Sirius XM Radio Inc.
19 CarPlay runs on smartphone cellular data service. Normal data rates apply. Apple and CarPlay are trademarks of Apple.com
20 Android Auto vehicle user interface is a product of Google and its terms and privacy statements apply. Requires the Android Auto app on Google Play store and an Android compatible smartphone running Android 5.0 Lollipop or higher. Data plan rates apply. Android, Android Auto, and Google Play are trademarks of Google LLC.
21 Charging system only works with select devices. Refer to the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual for warnings and instructions.
22 The Bluetooth word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG Inc., and any use of such marks by Kia is pursuant to a license. A Bluetooth enabled device is required to use Bluetooth wireless technology.
23 Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
24 When engaged, Rear Occupant Alert is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all movement within the vehicle. Always check the vehicle interior when exiting the vehicle.
25 Intelligent Speed Limit Assist is not a substitute for safe driving and may only function under certain conditions. Always drive safely and use caution.
26 When engaged, Highway Driving Assist is not a substitute for safe driving, may not detect all objects surrounding the vehicle, and only functions on certain federal highways. Always drive safely and use caution.
27 When engaged, High Beam Assist does not operate below certain speeds, or in some lighting and driving conditions. Please be aware of your surroundings and exercise proper road etiquette when operating a vehicle using the high beams.
28 When engaged, Driver Attention Warning is not a substitute for safe driving and may not detect all instances of driver fatigue or inattentive driving practices. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
29 Surround View Monitor is not a substitute for safe driving and may not detect or display all objects surrounding vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
30 When engaged, Safe Exit Warning is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all objects surrounding the vehicle. Always pay attention to traffic and to the area around your vehicle when exiting the vehicle.