ALL-NEW 2020 KIA TELLURIDE OFFERS RUGGED LUXURY
Big, Bold and Boxy, New Midsize SUV is Made for Adventures
- Largest Kia ever provides comfortable seating for up to eight passengers
- Potent 3.8-liter GDI V6 with 291 horsepower and 262 lb.-ft. of torque
- Powerful exterior design and premium, well-appointed interior
- Loaded with technology to enhance comfort, convenience, utility and the driver and passenger experience
GATEWAY CANYON, Colorado, March 19, 2019 – Today the all-new 2020 Kia Telluride made its official on-road and off-road debut, beginning a new adventure for Kia with its biggest and boldest SUV ever. Not far from the town that bears its name, the midsize Telluride SUV tackled mountain passes, rugged off-road trails and nearly every other kind of road under Colorado’s wide western sky. Imagined in America, designed at Kia’s design studio in California, and assembled in Georgia1, the Telluride is the largest Kia ever. It provides comfortable seating for up to eight, a powerful 291-hp 3.8-liter V6, available active on-demand all-wheel drive2, and an inspiring view of the world. The Telluride offers potential for exploration and adventure every time it’s on the road.
Designed in America for America
Telluride is the first Kia designed specifically for the U.S. and is a product of the Kia Design Center in Irvine, CA. From the first pencil stroke it was meant to convey the kind of presence associated with the original legendary SUVs – big, bold and boxy – and the go-anywhere, do-anything attitude their square, burly-shouldered shapes suggested. The Telluride’s sophisticated exterior accents also hint at its interior luxury. Main design cues include:
- Long, broad hood and wide grille
- Bold, stacked headlamps convey power and stability
- Upright windshield and clean side profile conveys muscular tension
- Inverted “L” tail lamps with LED stripes (standard on EX and SX trims)
- Elongated nameplates on the leading edge of the hood and on the liftgate provide distinctive identity for flagship SUV
- Sculpted rear skid plate with integrated twin exhaust tips reference off-road ability and power (standard on S, EX and SX trims)
The Telluride interior is designed to continue the impression of upscale exploration:
- Grab handles integrated into the center console suggest journeys off the beaten path
- Wide console with emphasis on the horizontal through artistic use of premium trim features to convey spaciousness - more “luxe living room” than “utility vehicle”
- Spacious cabin for generous hip, shoulder, leg and head room, including in the third row
Engineered to be Confident and Capable
Telluride is engineered to be capable in a variety of driving conditions and provide a driving experience that is enjoyable and confidence-inspiring. Among the many factors that contribute to the Telluride’s composed ride and performance:
- Atkinson Cycle LAMBDA II 3.8L V6 GDI engine producing 291 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 262 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,200 rpm
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Strong, stiff, and torsionally rigid body structure due to the monocoque shell that is composed of 59.4 percent advanced high-strength steel
- Self-leveling rear suspension. Ride height is automatically calibrated depending on vehicle load to optimize control and stability (optional on EX and SX)
- Choice of four drive modes – Smart, Eco, Sport and Comfort – each using different settings for powertrain, drivetrain, and steering effort mapping to provide the desired driving experience. In addition to the four regular drive modes, in vehicles equipped with AWD, drivers can select from two different modes, “Snow” and “AWD Lock”, for specific driving conditions
- Available active on-demand all-wheel drive2 helps provide enhanced driving performance by actively distributing torque between front and rear wheels depending on road conditions and driver input. The system utilizes electro-hydraulic AWD coupling to precisely activate the multi-plate clutch plate, constantly redistributing the amount of power transferred to the front and rear wheels. During normal driving, power is distributed according to the drive mode selected. “Eco” and “Comfort” modes can deliver up to 20 to 35 percent of the power to the rear wheels, respectively. “Sport”, “Smart” and “Snow” modes can deliver up to 50 percent of the power to the rear wheels. “AWD Lock” mode delivers power evenly to all four wheels
- Standard towing rated up to 5,000 pounds3
- Downhill Brake Control (DBC)4 maintains a controlled descent on steep roads
TELLURIDE TECH – BELLS AND WHISTLES GALORE
As Kia’s flagship SUV, the Telluride can be outfitted with an array of advanced technology and driver-assistance systems. The following is a list of the available features that are firsts for any Kia SUV. These are in addition to the long list of tech and ADAS features listed under the “Brimming with Technology” section of this release below. Please see that section for complete descriptions.
Born for Adventure in Luxury
Planning the Telluride interior, Kia designers set out to create an upscale cabin with an abundance of premium materials, attention to detail, and an array of convenient features including:
- Available double-stitched, quilted and extra-padded Nappa leather trim upholstery
- Simulated brushed metal and matte-finished wood
- Interior hooks to keep packs and bags off floor and away from feet
- Available heated and ventilated first- and second-row seats
- Ceiling-mounted second-row climate control
- HVAC diffusing ceiling vents provide wider spread of airflow for increased comfort
- Reclining third-row seats5
- Leather-wrapped, tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- Available heated steering wheel
Brimming with Technology — Advanced Connectivity, Safety Features, and Driver Assistance Systems
Telluride is packed with high-tech, advanced automotive technology, including the “Kia Drive Wise” suite of Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems, and a long list of standard and optional equipment, highlights of which are listed below:
- Available 10.25-inch color touchscreen6 with rear view monitor7 and parking guidance
- Available 630-watt, 10-speaker Harman/Kardon audio system (AM/FM/SiriusXM8) with Quantum Logic9 Surround Sound and Clari-Fi10
- Apple CarPlay11 and Android Auto12
- Available wireless smartphone charging13
- Available six total USB charging ports – two in each row. Five ports are standard
- Available multi-Bluetooth wireless connectivity14 allows two phones to connect simultaneously for audio streaming
- 7 airbags15 (dual front advanced air bags, dual front seat-mounted side air bags, side curtain air bags, driver's side knee air bag)
- Vehicle Safety Systems16
- Antilock braking
- Vehicle stability management
- Downhill brake control
- Electronic stability control
- Hill-start assist control
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)17
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Forward Collision Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection (FCA)
- High Beam Assist (HBA) (available)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist-Rear (BCA-R)
- Blind Spot View Monitor (BVM) (available)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)18
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
- Parking Distance Warning – Forward (available) and Reverse
- Surround View Monitor (SVM)19 (available)
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA)20: Uses radar to interpret lane markings so the vehicle can control steering, acceleration and braking to automatically adjust distance from the vehicle detected ahead. HDA is also designed to recognize speed limits on federal highways and adjust speed accordingly (available)
- Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist Rear (BCA-R): A camera is designed to track vehicle lane changes and if it detects an object in the blind spot the BCA-R system applies brake pressure to the front wheel of the opposite side to help maintain the previous course
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): An extension of Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW), RCCA may apply brakes if an impending impact is detected
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): When Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go is activated, LFA is designed to monitor lane markings to help keep the Telluride centered in its lane
- Safe Exist Assist (SEA)21: In certain situations, if the system detects an object approaching from the rear, SEA will override attempts to deactivate Electronic Child Safety Lock until the detected object has passed
- Head-Up Display22: Added information makes this system especially useful. Provides turn-by-turn navigation, speed, smart cruise control and blind-spot warnings (available)
- Driver Talk: Uses a microphone to enhance communication with second- and third-row passengers (available)
- Quiet Mode: Cuts audio output in second and third row so the audio choices of the front occupants are only heard in that row (available)
- Rear Occupant Alert23: Uses ultrasonic sensors designed to detect child or pet movement in the second and third row after the car’s doors have been locked and then can issue audible alerts to the driver
- Telluride is equipped with the UVO24 telematics system featuring an embedded modem that allows Telluride drivers to monitor and control a number of vehicle operations, including:
- Remote start and door lock (standard)
- Pre-condition the vehicle cabin temperature prior to use (only on EX and SX trims)25
- Rear Occupant Alert26: Uses sensors designed to detect a passenger in the rear cabin. If a rear passenger is detected and the driver leaves the vehicle, the vehicle will follow a series of steps to notify the driver, initially through a vehicle cluster message, and then through vehicle alarm initiation and subsequent SMS/Push message to the owner’s smart phone if they are enrolled through the UVO app
Assembled in America
Telluride will be assembled at Kia’s manufacturing facility in West Point, Georgia (KMMG) alongside certain trims of the Sorento and Optima. When it goes on sale next year (pricing will be announced near the on-sale date), Telluride will be available in four trims, LX, EX, S and SX with a choice of front-wheel or optional all-wheel drive.
About Kia Motors America
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia Motors America continues to top quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands and 50 Best Global Green Brands by Interbrand. Kia serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and offers a complete range of vehicles sold through a network of nearly 800 dealers in the U.S., including cars and SUVs proudly assembled in West Point, Georgia.*
For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
*The Telluride, Sorento and Optima (excluding Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid) are assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts.
1 The 2020 Telluride will be assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts and is expected spring 2019 with limited availability.
2 No system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver error and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
3 Towing requires additional equipment. See Owner’s Manual for towing capacity, additional instructions and warnings. Always use caution while towing.
4 No system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver error and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
5 Reclining seats can reduce the effectiveness of the safety restraint system and may lead to additional injury in an accident.
6 Distracted driving can result in a loss of vehicle control. When operating a vehicle, never use a vehicle system that takes your focus away from safe vehicle operation.
7 Rear View Monitor is not a substitute for safe driving, and may not display all objects behind the vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
8 SiriusXM audio and data services each require a subscription sold separately, or as a package, by Sirius XM Radio Inc., after 3-month trial included with vehicle purchase. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. Please see the SiriusXM Customer Agreement at www.siriusxm.com for complete terms and how to cancel, which includes calling SiriusXM at 1-866-635-2349. All fees and programming are subject to change. Traffic information not available in all markets. SiriusXM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc.
9 QuantumLogic is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries, Inc.
10 Clari-Fi is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries, Inc.
11 Apple CarPlay™ is a trademark of Apple Inc. Requires a compatible Apple device sold separately. Apple CarPlay™ runs on your smartphone cellular data service. Data plan rates apply.
12 Vehicle user interface is a product of Google and its terms and privacy statements apply. Requires the Android Auto app on Google Play and an Android compatible smartphone running Android™ 5.0 Lollipop or higher. Data plan rates apply. Android Auto is a trademark of Google LLC.
13 Charging system only works with select devices. Refer to the vehicle's Owner's Manual for warnings and instructions.
14 The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG Inc., and any use of such marks by Kia is pursuant to license. A Bluetooth® enabled device is required to use Bluetooth® wireless technology.
15 For maximum protection, always wear your seat belt.
16 No system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver error and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
17 These features are not substitutes for safe driving, and may not detect all objects surrounding vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
18 Driver Attention Warning is not a substitute for safe driving and may not detect all instances of driver fatigue or inattentive driving practices. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
19 Surround View Monitor is not a substitute for safe driving, and may not display all objects around vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
20 Highway Driving Assist is not a substitute for safe driving, may not detect all objects around the vehicle, and only functions on certain federal highways. Always drive safely and use caution.
21 Safe Exit Assist is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all objects surrounding the vehicle. Always pay attention to traffic and to the area around your vehicle when exiting the vehicle.
22 Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
23 Rear Occupant Alert is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all movement within the vehicle. Always check the vehicle interior when exiting the vehicle.
25 Remote features require a UVO subscription, a compatible smartphone, and a wireless signal with good coverage to function. Normal cellular service rates may apply. Do not use remote climate control or remote start if vehicle is in an enclosed area (e.g., closed garage) or a partially enclosed area without ventilation. Close all doors leading from adjacent living areas to the vehicle area before executing a remote climate control or remote start command.
26 Rear Occupant Alert notifications require a UVO subscription, a compatible smartphone, and a wireless signal with good coverage to function. Normal cellular service rates may apply. This system is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all movement within the vehicle. Always check the vehicle interior when exiting the vehicle.