2017 KIA SEDONA EARNS 2016 TOP SAFETY PICK+, HIGHEST POSSIBLE SAFETY RATING FROM THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY
New Award Confirms Sedona’s Place atop Minivan Market
- Addition of Autonomous Emergency Braking1 technology boosts safety rating from “basic” to “superior”
- Sedona surpasses new, more demanding IIHS testing standards
IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 4, 2016 —The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has awarded its best rating possible, Top Safety Pick+, to the 2017 Kia Sedona minivan. Already distinguished by its elegant design, exceptional comfort and utility, the 2017 Sedona is offered with available Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)1, a system that helps to avoid forward collisions by warning the driver of an impending forward collision and then applying the brakes if no action is taken. The addition of AEB1 qualified the 2017 Sedona for the elevated 2016 IIHS TSP+ rating.
“Buyers often place safety at the top of their list when shopping for a new minivan,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president, product planning KMA. “The IIHS is a highly respected safety authority and we see the 2017 Sedona’s TSP+ rating as validation of Kia’s dedication to its customers and to the continuous efforts to build better and safer vehicles.”
The top rating is even more impressive in light of the new testing standards implemented by IIHS this year. In order to achieve the TSP+ rating, vehicles are required to earn “good” ratings in five crashworthiness tests—small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side impact, roof strength and head restraints—and an “advanced” or “superior” rating for front crash prevention. The addition of AEB boosts the Sedona’s front crash prevention rating from “basic” to “superior.”
The TSP+ rating improves the Sedona’s previous rating as a Top Safety Pick and complements the minivan’s 5-star crash rating awarded by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration in 2015.2
About the new 2017 Sedona
The 2017 Sedona offers some key enhancements over the 2016 model year, including:
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is added to a rich mix of available Advanced Driver Assisted System (ADAS) features: Blind-Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Lane Departure Warning (LDWS), and Smart Cruise Control (SCC).1
- UVO3 e-Services3 system (with the added smart-phone connectivity of Apple®4 CarPlayTM and Android5 AutoTM and Navigation system with larger 7-inch display screen. Navigation with 8-inch screen is also available.
- Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) technology is combined with an upgraded High-Intensity-Discharge headlight system for even greater nighttime visibility.
- The enhanced Essentials Premium Package now includes Front & Rear Park-Assist1, Smart Key, UVO3 with rear camera, and leather trim.
- A new available Acoustic Windshield provides a supremely quiet driving experience.
Also new for the 2017 model year is a front passenger’s seat power adjustment switch for the added convenience of easily operating the passenger seat from the driver’s side of the vehicle and new premium stainless steel second-row door steps are standard on SXL models.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America (KMA) is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea KMA proudly serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and LPGA and set an all-time annual sales record in 2015, surpassing the 600,000 unit mark for the first time in company history. Kia offers a complete line of vehicles in the U.S., including the rear-drive K900** flagship sedan, Cadenza premium sedan, Sorento CUV, Soul urban passenger vehicle, Soul Electric Vehicle***, Sportage compact CUV, Optima midsize sedan, Optima Hybrid, the Forte compact sedan, Forte5 and Forte Koup, Rio and Rio 5-door subcompacts and the Sedona minivan, through a network of more than 765 dealers across the United States. Kia’s North American manufacturing operations include plants in West Point, Georgia*, and the municipality of Pesqueria in the state of Nuevo Leon, Mexico.
Information about KMA and its full vehicle line-up is available at www.kia.com. For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
* El Sorento y el Optima GDI (EX, SX y Limited y ciertos LX trims solamente) se ensamblan en los Estados Unidos con partes de origen estadounidense y globales.
** K900 available in select trims and in select markets with limited availability.
*** Soul EV in select markets with limited availability.