KIA MOTORS AMERICA’S MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED VEHICLE EVER TO FEATURE UVO ESERVICES
Second-Generation Infotainment System Builds on Award-Winning Foundation with Addition of New Smartphone-Based1 Connectivity and Google Maps
- Smartphone app provides connected car telematics, parked vehicle locator and advanced vehicle relationship management – all free of any monthly fees or contracts
- UVO eServices incorporates a suite of new convenience and security features such as 911 Connect2 and enhanced roadside assistance
- Map and POI destinations, provided by Google, to be sent to UVO eServices navigation system-equipped Kia vehicles through the Web and mobile devices
DETROIT, Jan. 15, 2013 – Today at the North American International Auto Show, Kia Motors America (KMA) announced the UVO eServices Infotainment System with Voice Command Navigation – the next iteration of the company's innovative voice-activated infotainment system – will be available in the stunning all-new 2014 Cadenza. UVO eServices represents an evolutionary leap from the original UVO system's capabilities, adding a new telematics suite ("eServices") enabled by an exclusive free smartphone app that will provide drivers with an innovative in-vehicle connectivity experience including navigation, diagnostics capabilities3 and added convenience features. UVO is short for "Your Voice" and through Advanced Voice Recognition technology, allows consumers to control music and mobile phone operations while keeping their hands on the steering wheel and their eyes on the road.
"UVO was a breakthrough for Kia and signaled the brand's ambitious plans to become an in-vehicle technology leader by enabling drivers and passengers to use all of their personal technologies more safely and easily while creating additional entertainment experiences," said Henry Bzeih, head of the connected car program and chief technology strategist, KMA. "With smartphone penetration nearing 50-percent in the U.S., UVO eServices extends our award-winning system's abilities far beyond the original offerings by utilizing one of the industry's first app-based approaches for telematics. This approach delivers new levels of connectivity and service – and does so without any additional fee to the customer."
UVO continues to offer drivers hands-free mobile phone management capabilities and control of music from a variety of media sources, including CD, radio, USB, media player, and the Digital Jukebox. With UVO eServices, users will now be able to control the 2014 Cadenza’s on-board navigation system through voice commands. Also new with UVO eServices is an enhanced telematics suite that offers a number of safety, maintenance and infotainment functions, including 911 Connect, enhanced Roadside Assist, Automatic Diagnostics, Manual Diagnostics, Scheduled Diagnostics, vehicle maintenance, and eServices Guide, many of which are run through the owner’s Smartphone equipped with the UVO eServices app available at no charge4.
Advanced Voice Recognition makes it simple to operate many UVO eServices functions, including the Cadenza’s voice activated navigation system. USB connectivity allows users to download music files from a memory stick into the Digital Jukebox. The large eight-inch touch screen is easy to operate and incorporates Cadenza’s rear camera display5, Infinity®6 Premium Sound System and MY POIs (personal Points of Interest via online maps), a feature that makes it easy to customize the owner’s most visited locations. UVO eServices is compatible with iPhone®7 at launch and Android® phones are expected to be compatible in the second quarter of 2013.
Key Features of UVO eServices:
- eServices Guide: Accessed via the touch-screen or voice command, eServices Guide places a phone call via Bluetooth® hands free connectivity8 to a voice response system that explains UVO eServices to the driver in an interactive manner.
- Car Care Web: Through the UVO eServices owner's portal, known as "Car Care Web," owners can check vehicle diagnostics, vehicle status, maintenance schedules, driving behavior, and schedule appointments with their preferred or nearby dealer via their home computer or mobile device. Owners also can earn awards for safe and eco-friendly driving viewable on Car Care Web should they rank high enough among their fellow UVO eServices owners.
- My POI: Also available to UVO eServices owners is My POI, a feature that allows owners to send a destination from Google Maps through their Smartphone to their UVO eServices vehicle. In the convenience of their home or office, the customer selects a destination from the Web via Google Maps, once the customer’s Smartphone receives the destination it will send the destination to the vehicle’s navigation system the next time the Smartphone is paired via Bluetooth® wireless technology. In addition, all destinations sent from Google Maps will be copied to the owner’s Car Care Web. (My POI is only available with UVO eServices vehicles equipped with navigation).
- Vehicle Diagnostics: If UVO's eServices identifies a problem by way of the Automatic Diagnostics function, it will communicate the vehicle's list of issues and its location to Kia's 24/7 call center or will schedule an appointment online with the nearest Kia dealership upon user request. With Manual Diagnostics, at the owner's preference, UVO eServices can connect the user with Kia's 24/7 call center or schedule an appointment online with the nearest Kia dealership, should an issue be found. Additionally, the user can take advantage of Scheduled Diagnostics from their smartphone, setting a monthly diagnostic check of the vehicle. Upon completion, any issues found are automatically forwarded to Car Care Web.
- 911 Connect: In case of an airbag deployment, the Crash Notification Assist function will alert emergency services. During a 10-second window, the driver has the option to cancel the call, otherwise UVO eServices will dial 9-1-1, read the vehicle's location out loud to the emergency services operator and allow the operator to speak with the vehicle occupants.
- Parking Minder: If the driver happens to forget where they parked the car, the Parking Minder function helps find it by sending the location of the vehicle to the driver's phone. If preferred, the owner also can take pictures of the surrounding area for reference, write a reminder note, email his or her location and set an alarm if the car is parked at a meter. To guide the owner back, the UVO eServices smartphone app will display the owner and the vehicle's locations on a map.
Kia: One of the World’s Fastest Moving Global Automotive Brands
Kia Motors America is one of only three auto brands to increase U.S. sales in each of the past four years, and in 2012 the company surpassed the 500,000 unit mark for the first time. With a full line of fun-to-drive cars and CUVs, Kia is advancing value to new levels of sophistication by combining European-influenced styling – under the guidance of chief design officer Peter Schreyer – with cutting-edge technologies, premium amenities, affordable pricing and the lowest cost of ownership in the industry. Kia recently joined the exclusive ranks of Interbrand’s “Top 100 Best Global Brands,” and is poised to continue its record-breaking momentum with seven all-new or significantly redesigned vehicles arriving in showrooms in 2013. Over the past decade Kia Motors has invested more than $1.4 billion in the U.S., including the company’s first U.S. assembly plant in West Point, Georgia – Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia – which is responsible for the creation of more than 11,000 plant and supplier jobs. The success of the U.S.-built* Optima and Sorento in two of the industry’s largest segments has fueled Kia’s growth and is complemented by Kia’s comprehensive lineup which includes the Sportage compact CUV, Soul urban passenger vehicle, Optima Hybrid, Forte compact sedan, 5-door compact hatchback and Forte Koup two-door coupe, Rio and Rio 5-door sub-compacts and Sedona minivan.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 765 dealers throughout the United States and serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and LPGA. In 2012, KMA recorded its best-ever annual sales total and gained U.S. market share for the 18th consecutive year. Kia is poised to continue its momentum and will continue to build the brand through design innovation, quality, value, advanced safety features and new technologies.
1 At launch, the Apple iPhone will be the only UVO eServices compatible device. Apple iOS6 compatibility expected early 2013. Additional compatible devices expected late 2013.
2 Feature activates after an airbag deployment and requires a connected mobile phone via Bluetooth. Dependant on cellular service coverage area.
3 Vehicle Diagnostics do not take the place of regularly scheduled maintenance. Feature checks powertrain, chassis, and airbag systems only, and requires initial activation. For factory-recommended maintenance schedule, see the Maintenance Feature of UVO eServices or the Owner’s Manual.
4 App requires UVO eServices equipped vehicle and runs on your smartphone cellular data service. Normal cellular service rates will apply.
5 The rear-camera display is not a substitute for proper and safe backing-up procedures. Always drive safely and use caution when backing up. The Rear-Camera Display may not display every object behind the vehicle.
6 Infinity is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries, Incorporated.
7 iPhone® is a registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
8 The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Kia is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners. A compatible Bluetooth® wireless technology enabled cell phone is required to use Bluetooth® wireless technology.